Our Impact Why We Exist
We are a service club endeavoring to serve our community' s greatest needs. We foster self-development in our membership by promoting pride and volunteerism. This impact is manifested in our many programs which enrich the social and cultural fabric of our community.
Our Story What We Do
Since our founding in 1920, Kin Canada clubs have donated more than $1 billion to Canadian causes, communities and individuals in need, as well as to disaster relief efforts beyond our borders.
Our local Club was chartered in 1958 and we have been involved in the construction of almost every playground in the community. Together with other local service clubs, we help build and in some part maintaine the Summerland Centennial Trail, Water Spray Park, Dale Meadows playground and the Harold Simpson Memorial Youth Center.
Besides raising money for local causes, we participate with the Kinsmen Foundation at a District Level and Cystic Fibrosis at a National Level.
Our Programs How We Do It
Our community’s needs are ever-changing, and in our effort to serve those needs our programs vary from year to year. The following are just a few examples of community donations as well as some service projects and capital projects from over the past few years:
- Base on individual needs we have given out Christmas hampers, grocery gift cards, loads of fire wood and assisted with travel expenses for medical procedures.
- Provided a new Washer/Dryer to the Food Bank for community use, new sound system for the Summerland Arena and 4 new nets for Summerland U11 and U12 Soccer teams to use for half field games.
- Sponsor one Scholarship and two Bursaries annually for local Summerland Secondary students (one coming from our National association).
- Support the D.A.R.E. program, Neighbourhood Link as well as the Summerland Royalty Committee.
- Distribute donations amongst Boys and Girls Club, Scouts, Girl Guides, Air Cadets, Minor Hockey, Minor Softball, Youth Curling and Special Olympics.
- Assisting the Royal Canadian Legion with Summerland’s Remembrance Day ceremony
- Brush clearing at Agur Lake Camp
- Kinsmen “Fishing Pond” at Summerland’s Festival of Lights
- Annual Summerland Kinsmen Polar Bear Dip held at Sunoka Beach
- Beverage garden at the Summerland Action Fest
- Cystic Fibrosis Fundraisers throughout the valley
- Expansion of the Jogging Track at Dale Meadows Sports Complex
- Upgrades to Kin Park in lower town as well as Julia Street Park uptown.
- Summerland Dale Meadows Park Accessible Playground Project
What You Can Do
Come and join us! We range in age from 19 to 40+ and meet at 7 pm on the 1st & 3rd Monday each month (from September to June) at the Harold Simpson Memorial Youth Centre, 9111 Peach Orchard Rd. First time drop-ins are welcome.