Hedley Seniors' Centre Society
Our Impact Why We Exist
The Seniors’ Centre is a not-for-profit organization, based in Hedley, but membership and activities are not limited to Hedley residents or seniors. We focus on Hedley, but also serve the Similkameen Valley. There is a need for our activities and services, especially for lower income or disabled persons, whether over the age of 55 or not. Many residents cannot readily travel the 30 or more kilometres to another population centre and services such as walkers, educational seminars, meals to shut-ins, and so on are not routinely provided by other organizations, whether within or outside Hedley.
Our Story What We Do
We are a hub for Hedley and the wider community providing services and activities where there is a need (and we have sufficient resources). We have been active in Hedley since the 1970's, first as a branch of the BC Old Age Pensioners Association. We ended our association with the BC OAPO and incorporated as the Hedley Seniors' Centre Society in 2012.
Our Programs How We Do It
With the support of our volunteers and funding from individual donations and granting organizations, we offer:
- Public Library (Thursdays from 2 to 7 pm)
- Morning coffee for all (every day from 6:30 to 8 am)
- Exercise classes
- Bridge and other games
- Pancake breakfast (second Sunday of each month from 8 – 10 am)
- Special events (such as educational seminars, Community information meetings, and Community Conversations)
- Free crutches, walkers, and safety aids
- Free internet café and free telephone calls anywhere in BC
- Facilities rental (kitchen and conference seating in our hall for up to 90 people for reunions, celebrations of life, polling station, etc)
- Remembrance Day Ceremony is followed by refreshments at the Seniors' Centre
- December pot-luck - dinners are delivered to shut-ins
- Community Christmas Dinner - donations allow us to serve a free dinner to residents, families, and friends - dinners are delivered to shut-ins
- Fundraising events throughout the year, for example to jointly raise funds with the Hedley Heritage Museum Society for the Hedley Cenotaph restoration.
What You Can Do
One hundred percent of our work is done by volunteers. New volunteers, new members, and donations are ALWAYS welcome!